Friday, August 11, 2017

In Defense of Ashley Judd

Yeah, I didn't see that coming either.

She's taken to social media to complain about being called a term of endearment and being complimented on her dress.  Personally, I'd be happy I didn't get a body cavity search. Regardless, I think it's worthwhile to give a different view on why Ms. Judd may have said what she did.

A few years ago, I spent a few months living in another country.  A country where I was a complete minority.  This white chick stuck out like a sore thumb that had a large pink splint attached to it.

Often, during lunch or dinner, I'd head over to the nearest mall to shop and eat.  Ok, mostly to eat.  Every entrance to the mall had a security checkpoint where bags would get checked.  Every time I'd walk up, the guard would usher me through without checking my bag.  Why?  Because I was a "westerner", some harmless white lady.

While this may seem lucky for me, it made me uneasy.  When it first happened, my initial response was "No, you need to search my bag, too".  It's only fair, right? Why are people being profiled like this? I shouldn't be treated any better than anyone else.  My sense of justice was irked.

Now, I'll admit, I doubt the TSA agent in question meant any harm, and I doubt the person needs to lose their job, but I can see why she felt the way she did.  I can also see why she chose to speak out about it.

You should treat everyone equally, regardless of how they look.  One could argue that Judd was the recipient of a compliment, but taking a stand on something when you are profiting from it speaks even more strongly.

As people of privilege (whether being white, straight, Christian, pretty, thin, male, or any combination of these), we are just as responsible to speak out when we see things that don't meet the ideals of the society we wish to live in.  Too many people are judged, profiled, and limited based on things that don't really matter instead of their character.  We shouldn't stand for it even if we profit - we should feel equally as responsible to fix the ills in our society.

And, to be honest, those of us who profit probably bear an even greater responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment