Friday, April 28, 2017

Uncivil disobedience

I had my first experience with the absolute $%^&-show known as the Rep Andy Barr Town Hall this week.

I can't detail everything that happened, as I could not hear everything.  Why, you might ask?  Well, I'll tell you why.  75% of the audience decided it would be more effective to yell and scream at him.  Barr decided to use Powerpoint slides with too much text on them so I couldn't read anything either.

The whole experience made me sad.  The saddest part was when I looked over at a couple of ladies who were yelling earlier to see them look at each other and giggle between outbursts.

Really?  This is funny to you?  You are finding it entertaining to just yell randomly from the back row?

I wasn't the only one who felt this way. A lady next to me said, "I've never experienced something like this before" and commented on how uncomfortable she was being in the middle.  I had to agree.  I was worried a fight would break out.  I left 30 mins early.  I was disappointed because I had adjusted my schedule that evening to go and participate.

Listen, I'm not on board with the Republican agenda either.  I think walls are counter-productive.  I think the middle class needs to be taxed less.  I don't believe the right thing at the moment is to completely repeal the ACA.  Leave NAFTA alone, let low paying jobs go and focus attention on training people for better paying jobs in more innovative industries.  I don't believe removing EPA regulations will improve anything, certainly not our health. I don't believe the school vouchers will fix our school systems, it just allows a larger percentage of kids escape them, leaving the most vulnerable kids to stay in the cycle of poverty.

I don't believe either party has the right answers either.  Both have parts to the greater whole.

We need to be able to challenge to create a sociologically, economically, and ecologically sustainable world.  Neither party is capable of this on its own. You might scoff at that, but diversity of thought is a good thing.

Both ends of the spectrum are necessary.  It's in those extremes where the new crazy ideas come from, and, occasionally, those ideas have merit.  Those ideas force a change in dynamic of the conversation and a re-evaluation of previously held truths.  This a good thing, but it can't be one sided.  With every crazy idea comes high risks.  Risks that need to be weighed against the gains.  You need the naysayers to pick things apart and shed light on areas that require improvement. This is a tough process, but it is necessary.  There are no better naysayers than those who are diametrically opposed to you cognitively.

This is ok.

This is healthy.

What's not ok is being completely unwilling to listen.

Until we come to terms with the fact we need each other and our differing views, our society will continue on a path towards its eventual downfall (either through a broken economy, ecological disaster, terrorism, war or full-on self implosion).

Any unchecked ideology will lead to our destruction.

So what can we do?

We can start by being more civil towards one another.  This involves being clear, concise, and authentic with our message and constructive in our criticisms.  I heard none of this Monday night.  I saw chaos between an angry mob and a lone carnival barker.  It was anything but civil.

_________

I will leave you with my recommended agenda changes for the next town hall:

6-6:30PM:  PiƱata (in the shape of Trump, Barr or even McConnell). Works out the aggression
6:30-6:31:  Washington Update
6:31-7:00:  Heavy Metal Karaoke.  Allows people legitimate reasons to scream indoors
7:00-7:01:  Q&A
7:01-7:30:  Round of "Whose Line is it Anyway?" because the lines are made up and the points don't matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment